|Posted by tlhsny on July 31, 2010 at 3:51 PM|
One of our adopters recently emailed us with a scary story about one of her adopted cats.
One day while she was out of the house, her cat "Sneezy" got entangled in the cord on one of her window blinds. He must have been playing with the cord, and got his leg through it and kept twisting and turning to try to get free. Luckily, he's a pretty laid back cat and finally just gave up the struggle and waited for help. When his owner came home she found him all tangled and was able to free him without any injuries. Had it been one of her more active cats, they may have kept twisting themselves until they cut off circulation to their leg and ended up hurting themselves more.
When you purchase those types of window blinds there are warnings to keep the cords safely out of the reach of children. Everyone should also consider the hazard they pose to cats and dogs in your home. If you have window blinds with long cords, you should cut them so they hang loosely and there isn't a way to have your pet get tangled up. Also, after cutting them it's best if you can move the cord up higher and wrap it so that it doesn't hang low enough for your pet to play with and risk the same situation that poor Sneezy dealt with.
Mom always said, "it's all fun and games until someone gets hurt." Sadly, Mom might be right.